Presentation of Schinias National ParkDec 14, 2018
To download the presentation of Schinias national park please press here.
Basic Information about Schinias Marathon National Park
Schinias Marathon National Park is located in Attica and in the plain of Marathon, in the homonymous area. It is about 40 km NE of Athens and is the most important coastal ecosystem of Attica, while it is also extremely interesting as a landscape and is based on a sensitive water balance. Its area is 13.84 square kilometers (including the sea area). It consists of the forest of Koukounaria, the Mega Elos, the Kinosura Peninsula, the coast and the sea zone.
In the past, the wetland was part of the Kato Souli coastal communications station in the USA (in the area and until the beginning of the 90’s, the American Base N. Makris & Kato Souli operated). It is an important natural and economic resource of supra-local importance as every year it attracts thousands of visitors for the purpose of recreation (enjoyment of beaches, swimming, water sports in their vast majority), bird watching and landscape enjoyment.
Historically, the site is a rememberance of the battlefield of Marathon, and specifically the camp of the Persians. Also, the Trophy of the Battle is very close.
Administratively, it belongs to the Management Body of Schinias National Park.
The Natural Environment
Firstly, the area belongs to the Natura 2000 network with code number GR 3000003 with a total of 19 habitat types, 115 bird species with a potential diversity of 215 species while there are endangered species of freshwater fish, amphibians and reptiles. Moreover, in the area there are the following habitats (briefly):
1. Seaside forest with Aleppo pine (P.halepensis) and pine (P.pinea). It is one of the few left in Greece and the Mediterranean.
2. Kinosura Peninsula. A typical Mediterranean ecosystem, with shrubs, phrygana and grasses, the peninsula has maintained its naturalness with minimal human impact.
3. Blessed Source. Two lakes where water gushes all year round from the bottom, in significant quantities. Eels, sea turtles and the endangered endemic fish Pseudophoxinus stymphalicus marathonicus (daska) live.
4. Wetland with fresh, brackish and salt water, reedbeds, tamarisk trees, halophytic vegetation and wet meadows. However, the wetland floods periodically. A wide variety of endangered bird fauna is found, such as the species Ardea purpurea, Ardeola ralloides, Circus aeruginosus, Circus pygargus, Cisticola juncidis, Egretta garzetta, Ixobrychus minutus, Plegadis falcinellus.
5. Lake Stomi. The lower part of the wetland, at its eastern edge, seasonally floods with salt water. The rare orchid Orchis palustris and endangered aquatic birds such as Phoenicopterus ruber, Falco naumanni and Himantopus himantopus are found in the area.
6. Sea bay with submarine meadows of Posidonia (Posidonia oceanica).
To sum up, to download the presentation of Schinias national park please press here.